Do Me a Favor

Looking for Speaking Hope Ministry's blog? For the moment, it has combined with Miscellaneous Ramblings. Please click here and be sure to sign up for e-mail notices. Thanks. Carol

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Just Ask


Part of John 15:7 says, “Ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you.”  Sounds great.  Ask whatever you will.  Like ask for a million dollars, for that dream job, travels, adventures, bigger houses, bigger cars.  Wow!  “Ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you.”

BUT… the first part of that verse is:  “If you live in Me [abide vitally united to Me] and My words remain in you and continue to live in your hearts, (THEN) ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you.  (my emphasis)

Whoa, now; wait a minute.  IF you live in Me?  I have to be united vitally to Jesus?  His words remain in me and He continues to live in my heart?

Well, now, that’s different.  Where are my dollars and my dream job and bigger and better stuff? 

See, if Jesus lives in me, well, that’s the end of the stuff.  I know enough to know that He is not concerned with this really cool stuff that I want.  I know that He is concerned not with worldly things but eternal things. 

What difference does it make what I have here if I don’t have an eternal future?  That’s what He wants me to see.  Ask whatever you will.  In His name.  Amen.
Photo by Cindy West McGregor
 

6 comments:

  1. Very true Carol! Unfortunately, I'm afraid a lot of people (Christians and non-Christians alike) don't understand the full meaning of this verse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an ongoing process to learn from Scripture. At least it is for me! Thanks, Stacie...

      Delete
  2. Daily struggle sometimes....but always worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yet, He cares about what we care about, and He gives good gifts to His children. He also with-holds anything that will draw us away from Him. He has given me so many good gifts. What a loving God we serve!

    You are one of those gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad God is in charge of all of this with His mercy and grace. Thanks, Danie. You're a sweetie...

      Delete